Chicken, Spinach and Tomato Mac n’ Cheese
Prep Time 35 min
Cook Time 20 min
- 1 (16-ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 cups Alta Dena whole milk
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups diced roasted chicken
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for 1 minute less than directions state. Drain; toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping. In 10-inch skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in breadcrumbs, parsley and garlic salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until breadcrumbs are toasted and browned (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- To prepare sauce, in 8-quart Dutch oven or pot melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and garlic salt until absorbed by butter. Slowly whisk in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in macaroni, chicken, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Serve immediately by dishing into bowls and topping with breadcrumbs.
Recipe and image provided by Half & Half magazine.